Monday, 31 December 2012

It's Bloggin' Time

Woo. 

Mum started telling people I would set up a blog in order to keep in touch with everyone, so I thought I possibly should. Unfortunately, I am too lazy to read the instructions, so you'll just have to bear with me. It is titled "That one time, when..." because that is what I will sound like when I begin to tell you all my stories.

-->

27.12.12.                    Somewhere in between Auckland and Singapore


On leaving Wellington airport, I was rather pleased with the lack of tears and extreme emotion on display (for those of you who know my family, you will appreciate this). The Auckland flight was very kiwi with a Hobbit themed safety briefing and Hobbit quiz to keep me entertained, a very cool send off. On my way to Auckland, I was beside a young lady named Sam who was on her was to USA and was more than happy to make sure I got to the International Terminal safe and sound. Although, without Dad’s trolley stacking ability, my wee suitcase fell off twice in transit.  On joining the cue to check in to Singapore, there was a distinct lack of white people, and an even larger lack of people I knew… This was a first for me. I thought I knew someone when a big black man yelled out my name, but it turned out he was talking to his son. Time in Auckland was spent watching cricket on TV, quadruple checking I had everything I needed and getting on Facebook (of course).  The excitement was beginning to build. I only realised this when I bounced up to the immigration man with a huge smile on my face, only to have it disappear when he told me I couldn’t fly without my plastic bag – I don’t think I have ever been so gullible in my life! Seat 36K had my name on it. WINDOW :D
Singapore Airlines is beautiful – hot towels before take off, water, blankets and pillows, socks and tooth brush, even a few Christmas decorations to celebrate the festive season. The food has been the best plane food yet, although I was so hungry I possibly would have eaten anything. I managed to sleep for five hours, watch two movies and eat. A wee bit nervous about making my connecting flight to Delhi, but the lovely air hostess just gave me all the instructions I need (sky-train to terminal 2), and said they’d wait for me. Fingers crossed!!



27.12.12                    Singapore Airport


It is so hot. I leapt off the plane, onto the sky-train in order to get to the right terminal, where a delightful sign told me I had a 17 minute walk to get to my gate which started boarding 20 minutes ago… Needless to say, I looked at no shops, walked very fast and was then greeted with “Ah, different country, very different culture, enjoy your holiday.” What have I got myself into?! The airport is very clean and quiet, but absolutely huge. It is full of weird and wonderful forms of wheeled transport and travelators. I feel like Toto, someone is about to tell me I am not in NZ anymore. Very excited though.

27.12.12                     New Delhi, Safdarjung Enclave


On arrival to New Delhi airport, I felt like I was walking on air – I was in India!! I got my bags, alcohol and passport stamped, then went out to see Hannah for the first time in a year… She wasn’t there. I walked outside and was faced with a mob of Indian men waiting to drive people. Never in my life have I felt so out of place. I waited for a bit, but then decided Mandy and Hannah were probably inside and I had missed them, so went to get back insde, but the guards on the door wouldn’t let me go back inside the arrivals terminal (it turns out people have to pay to go in there)… So I did what my mum had told me and cried… An English couple sorted me out, looked after my bags (dodgy) and sent me inside with the guards to fine Hannah, which to my relief I did. It was very cool to see her again, hard to believe it has been a year. We found our driver, who took us back to Bev and Parminder’s house. This drive was like nothing I have ever experienced. There is no giving way, people just toot with the hope they will be let it, or make their way through the smallest of gaps. There is no awareness of lanes and their use. The road may be two lanes wide but there could be eight cars across it. On arrival to Bev’s, there were people everywhere. They live in a big three storied apartment block with Vir and Aditi on the top floor. The houses here are cold though with their tiled floors and no heating (poor Doreen). Hannah, Mandy and I tried on lots of Pia’s indian clothes to figure out what we would wear for the wedding, I felt so silly, but when in Rome… Back to our house for a quick shower before going shopping with the girls. We went to Archna arcade and GK1 looking for Indian clothing, the problem was we would not wear it back in NZ so it seemed a bit un necessary. Mandy and Lynda each bought Sawakameezs, Hannah and I got some pants that are very cool. I will wear them to the UK on the plane with me :) We had dinner at B and P’s with lots of relatives and friends. It seems like all the Indian people have the same name on first introductions, but on hearing their names enough, it is soon easy to know them all.  Food is really different. All they eat is chicken, mutton or cream cheese curry for lunch and dinner.


1 comment:

  1. i'm so jel, looks beaut. missing you lots! - its been 9 days. only 356 to go ;)

    ReplyDelete