Tuesday, 5 February 2013

I actually made the most of my half day

This Monday, I thought I'd mix things up. Instead of lying on the couch on my afternoon off watching movies I didn't really like, eating chocolate and being cold, I thought I would go on a wee adventure!


I was dropped off in Winslow, about 2 miles from Swanbourne, by myself with vague directions on how to get back to the school, my phone and my credit card... little did I know how much I would enjoy my afternoon. 


I found a wee boutique dedicated to fascinators, hats and bedazzled shoes. The lady who owned the shop (slight fruit loop) had great delight in explaining every detail of the shop – she made wedding dresses, cards and really cute girly jewellery… needless to say I did not buy anything! Her dog made sure I did not loiter without spending.

The local charity shop had the most spectacular collection of Dan Brown and Patricia Cornwall novels (immediately making me think of my parents), maybe even some Tom Clancy actually. I chose a book titled Half of a Yellow Sun and walked out of the shop with it hot in my hand, only one pound short in the pocket. There was also a huge stack of DVDs which could come in handy for the shack later in the year, when we have watched everything on offer.

There was another shop similar, but you could hardly move once inside. It was absolutely chocker with knick-knacks. From nail polish and doorstops, to jewellery stands and massive art deco mirror, this gift shop had everything and I will be sure to return closer to birthday season.

The Emporium opened its door to me and presented itself as a sweet shop, similar to the British Lolly shop in Queenstown, except I am in fact in Britain. It turned out to be a gorgeous wee teashop, owned by a lovely lady. There were lots of unique soups on offer such as celery, ale, carrot and parsnip, (not all together). I sat down alone at a table for four, right in front of a roaring fire. A cute pot of tea arrived and I was left with my book in peace. No one was crying out for Miss Taylor, or whining about being cold or hungry, or not being able to sleep. It was bliss!! I’m not sure how long I sat there for, devouring my new book page by page, with every page, becoming more engrossed. I only lost my focus when I had finished my pot of tea, much to my disappointment. The lovely lady did offer another pot without charge, but on seeing the time and remembering the walk that was ahead of me, I thought I best be on my way.

I couldn’t help but being lured into the delicatessen on my way out of Winslow though. It caught my eye with its huge array of European wines… I mean cheeses? It was really cool, but stocked with the most peculiar things. I knew I was out of my depth, so paid 39p for some almond and mandarin biscotti and got on my way with Coldplay accompanying me.
I began on the road, leaping into the bushes whenever a vehicle came. Thankfully this was not very often! I was quite happy walking through the farmland, in the sun, with my music. I had a vague idea where I was going and knew there was a short cut signposted somewhere, which lead across the fields. I wasn’t exactly sure where the signpost was, so kept to the roads. That was until I met a lady walking her dog on the road who had just popped out from a lane leading out of the paddocks. She helped me out and said if I follow the lane across three paddocks, went right onto the main lane and then right at the road, I would get to Swanbourne. Or did she say left at the road? Either way, I went right and explored my way across numerous fields, not a man, animal or vehicle in sight. While I had no idea where I was going and realised there was actually no one to ask if I was in fact lost, I did not worry… I merely laughed to myself. Who could get lost walking home from Winslow? I spotted the water tower in the distance, and headed for there thinking it was in Swanbourne. On approach I remembered it was in Murseley, not Swanbourne. That was OK. I knew Murseley wasn’t too far from school. At this point I had been walking alone through the fields for about an hour and a half and was starting to miss talking (I may have been singing to myself though, it seemed a wasted opportunity not to!) I gave Mike and Liz a call while I strolled through Murseley, just to have some reassurance I wasn’t actually lost. The next sign post told me I was 2.5 miles form Swanbourne. Considering I was only initially 2 miles from Swanbourne and had been waking ‘to’ Swanbourne for nearly two hours, I had to laugh at myself.

The level of amusement was increased as I realised it was 5pm and I was getting closer to school. This meant that everyone who drove past me was most likely one of my pupils, who would most definitely recognize me in my fluoro green ski jacket.

I made it back to the Shack, where Jem greeted me with “Have you only just got back?” Yes Jem, I had got lost and had a fabulous adventure – but you know what, an adventure is exactly what I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment